The Adventures of Kia and Bean

The Adventures of Kia and Bean

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Family Update: March 2014

Happy spring!  It has been a cold and dreary winter here, but over this past few weeks, we have had the opportunity to emerge from our protective walls and enjoy the warmth and sunshine. 

A lot has happened since our last post.  We moved to a new house, started the preparations for kindergarten, Bean is homeschooling, and I am now the proud author of my own blog.  I'm still shaking my head at it all.  But it has happened and is happening, so let the roller coaster of life speed on!

Updates on the family.  Yes, we moved to a new place to take
advantage of the special needs programs available there.  The funny thing is that now we (the school district and us) are discussing sending Kia to a private school that could better meet her needs.  So now comes all the decision making and weighing of what is most important.  Luckily, we still have a couple of months before making the decision.  For now, we are just feeling so blessed to be working with great professionals in her current preschool and in the school district we live.  God just keeps guiding us, and a funny thing happens when you let Him take control - you stop worrying because of the knowledge that wherever He is leading your family is best.

But the important thing is that MY DAUGHTER IS GOING TO KINDERGARTEN, PEOPLE!  I can't stand it.  I'm in denial, and I think I might stay in denial until I go to my grave that she is growing up.

Bean had a bit of a rough go of it with preschool in the fall.  Her anxiety got the best of her, so we decided to pull her out, start the therapies she needs, and homeschool her.  I've got to tell you.  Despite the fact that we went against the advice of nearly everyone around us, this was the best decision we ever made.  Her anxiety levels are lower than ever, she is taking on language like crazy, she is advancing physically, and even though everyone was so worried about her social skills, they have increased in incredible ways.  Further evidence that parents know their child best.  Every child is different, and while it is important to get advice from professionals, sometimes all the training in the world can't replace a parent's intuition.  We are going to try preschool again in the fall at a place that offers smaller classes, but for now, Bean is enjoying her time at home and thriving.

Both girls are just little beacons of light right now.  They absolutely adore being sisters, and they are best friends.  They may rough and tumble and fight, but at the end of the day, they do things like:  moving their seats at the dinner table so they can sit side by side and running to get a doll the other one wants before she even knew she wanted it.  The other morning I heard them giggling, and when I checked on them, I found them giving kisses to each other, giggling, and then squealing, "Again!"  Too cute for words.  These two have been through everything together, and it is amazing to see the special bond they have formed as a result.

Like many of you, our house has been taken over by Frozen.  I seriously have had the Let It Go song in my head since Thanksgiving Day (trip 1 of 3 to the theater to see the silly movie), and now that the DVD has made it inside the walls of our home, there is no end in sight!  I think they will need special support groups for parents who have had to endure this nonsense.  Seriously though, it is wonderful to see a movie about sisters, and it seems so appropriate that it was their very first movie in the theaters.

Tim and I are doing well.  Tim has a great job, and I am grateful every single day that his job allows me to stay home and take care of our little ones during these vital years.  He is learning how to be a handyman now that we have moved into a 40 year old home that seems to have a new problem surface every day.  I know I will eventually write a post about the various adventures he and I have had due to the mischief of the two little humans in our house.  But as a sneak preview, I can tell you that we have learned all about vents, sliding glass doors, and toilets as a result!

I am busy blogging these days.  I started blogging for Deliberate Women at the beginning of 2013, and now I have decided to also write my own blog called Joy from Grace.  It is exciting to be a part of both ministries and to use my gifts in a way that can positively impact the lives of others.  I am especially excited (and terrified) that I will also begin speaking and am signed up to speak at a conference this fall.  Eek!  I am also busy selling Norwex.  I never ever thought I would do a party-based business again, but I am in love with the products, and I love that I can clean my home without harmful chemicals.

Life is good.  Our family is doing well.  We are emerging in an amazing way from the cloudy first couple of years as a family unit and making a beautiful future together.  Keep riding along with us because it is going to a great adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment